Friday, January 6, 2017

New England Fowler in the Making





     Here I'm starting with a cherry blank that has had the 43" 54 caliber Getz smoothbore barrel inletted and ramrod hole drilled. The web between the barrel and ramrod hole started at about a 1/4". I dropped the barrel down in the stock an 1/8". The purpose is to have a more slender piece when finished.
     Next I plan out the shape of the stock. This includes drop, cast-off, and length of pull. Bandsaw off the excess both on the sides, top ,and bottom. Plane the lock panels down to the correct thickness, and start inletting the lock(Not a bad idea to do the breechplug 1st, but I've seated the barrel back tight. So there is no gap at the breech end of the barrel). The sides of the lock plate are filed before inletting. This is a Chamber's Early Colonial flintlock.

1 comment:

  1. Good articles, Have you heard of Mr Benjamin, Email: 247officedept@gmail.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740-- who work with funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.

    ReplyDelete