Sunday, August 28, 2016

Pocket Knife

This folder is 3 1/2" closed and 6 1/2" open. The blade and spring were forged from 1084 carbon steel. Everything else is mild steel and the slabs are horn. Overall weight is 2.9 ounces.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Southern Mountain Rifle

This mountain rifle sports a Rice Southern classic 50 caliber barrel, a Chambers late Ketland lock, and iron mounts all in a nice piece of curly maple. The stock was shaped down from a slab and many of the mounts where handmade. The muzzle cap is pewter and the inlays are silver.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Belt Knife

This knife has a 5 1/4" blade forged from 1084 carbon steel. It measures 9 3/4" overall. The handle is whitetail antler with the spiral pattern cut and filed in. The pommel and bolster are steel with the tang passing clear through. With it is a form fitted sheath made from vegetable tanned cow hide, that is hand sewn with linen thread and dyed dark. It shaves!

Monday, June 6, 2016

Rifleman's Knife

This knife has a 6 1/4" blade forged from 1084 steel, a pewter bolster, and the tang passes through the whitetail antler handle about 3/4 of the way back. The sheath is vegetable tanned cow hide sewn with linen thread and dyed dark- still wet in this photo. I may antique the sheath and darken the pewter.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Before/After CVA Pistol

 I generally wont put much work into one of these, but this one has a lock that actually sparked well. I removed two inches from the original barrel, and put as much of a round on the front half as I could without having to restock or bed the barrel. I would have opened the bore from a 45 caliber smooth to a 62 or so but I didn't have the right tooling. The lock was cleaned up and some of the factory "engraving" removed. The muzzle cap, ramrod pipes and side plate where thrown in the scrap pile. I cut apart the old trigger guard and modified it. The existing trigger was reshaped. New ramrod pipes, side plate, belt clip, screws, wood and metal finish completed the project.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Lancaster Smoothbore

This early Lancaster smoothbore has a 48" 54 caliber tapered round barrel made by Larry Horrigan, the lock is a modified Chamber's Dale Johnson, it is stocked in curly maple(from a board) with brass mounts. The muzzle cap, side plate, front sight,tapered ramrod tip, and trigger assembly where hand made. The wrist inlay is a pewter polish falcon. Length of pull is 14 1/4", 1/4" cast off, 3" drop, 3/4 lb trigger pull, and the overall weight is 7.7 pounds. The stock has a scraped finish, stained with aquafortis, oiled with refined linseed oil then waxed after stock burnishing.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Fowler Bag and Accouterments

This is a heavy deer skin bag I just finished up. Everything is hand sewn with a waxed linen thread. A friend of mine made the linen strap. As you may be able to see in the photos there is a main compartment plus one inside and one outside pocket. The reinforcement band at the top of the inside is vegetable tanned cow hide. The patch knife has been previously shown on here. The Irish shot charger is antiqued brass with a deer skin tube. This is fixed to the strap with a pewter button and a leather loop on the lower end. Shot snake can be removed from the bag this way to reduce weight if so desired. The antler tip powder measure is for a 55 grain charge.